Thursday, June 11, 2009

Summer Reading and Writing Assignment 2 for Senior Dance Project

Chapter 5
before you can think out of the box, you have to start with a box
Excerpt from The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp

Everyone has his or her own organizational system. Mine is a box, the kind you can buy at Office Depot for transferring files.

I start every dance with a box. I write the project name on the box, and as the piece progresses I fill it up with every item that went into the making of the dance. This means notebooks, news clippings, CDs, videotapes of me working alone in my studio, videos of the dancers rehearsing, books and photographs and pieces of art that may have inspired me.

The box documents the active research on every project. For a Maurice Sendak project, the box is filled with notes from Sendak, snippets of William Blake poetry, toys that talk back to you. I'm sure this is the sort of stuff that most people store on shelves or in files. I prefer a box.

There are separate boxes for everything I've ever done. If you want a glimpse into how I think and work, you could do worse than to start with my boxes.

The box makes me feel organized, that I have my act together even when I don't know where I'm going yet.

It also represents a commitment. The simple act of writing a project name on the box means I've started work.

The box makes me feel connected to a project. It is my soil. I feel this even when I've back-burnered a project: I may have put the box away on a shelf, but I know it's there. The project name on the box in bold black lettering is a constant reminder that I had an idea once and may come back to it very soon.

Most important, though, the box means I never have to worry about forgetting. One of the biggest fears for a creative person is that some brilliant idea will get lost because you didn't write it down and put it in a safe place. I don't worry about that because I know where to find it. It's all in the box.

I like cardboard file boxes for a bunch of reasons, all willfully idiosyncratic. The shelving in my work area at home, which holds my audio equipment, hundreds of music CDs, and piles of musical scores, is not mere heavy-gauge industrial shelving; it's scaffolding equipment, strong enough for painters to stand on when they're working on the exterior of a house. In other words, the shelves are built for hard work. That's a personal aesthetic choice. I want everything around me, from my dancers to my dances to my shelves, to be strong and built to last.

The file boxes reflect the same practicality. They're easy to buy, and they're cheap. (I don't need to spend a thousand dollars on an exquisite cherry cabinet that fills up in a week.) They're one hundred percent functional; they do exactly what I want them to do: hold stuff. I can write on them to identify their contents (you wouldn't do that with a thousand-dollar cherry file cabinet). I can move them around (which is also hard to do with a heavy wood filing system). When one box fills up, I can easily unfold and construct another. And when I'm done with the box, I can ship it away, out of sight, out of mind, so I can move on to the next project, the next box.

Easily acquired. Inexpensive. Perfectly functional. Portable. Identifiable. Disposable. Eternal enough.

Those are my criteria for the perfect storage system. And I've found the answer in a simple file box.

It's not the only answer, of course. Maurice Sendak has a room that's the equivalent of my boxes, a working studio that contains a huge unit with flat pullout drawers in which he keeps sketches, reference materials, notes, articles. He works on several projects at a time, and he likes to keep the overlap- ping materials out of sight when he's tackling anyone of them. Other people rely on carefully arranged index cards. The more technological among us put it all on a computer. There's no single correct system. Anything can work, so long as it lets you store and retrieve your ideas-and never lose them. It doesn't have to be complicated. I know one magazine editor who hoards newspaper and magazine clippings. A good chunk of his day is spent with scissors in hand clipping stories, photographs, and illustrations. After he clips, he opens a file drawer and deposits the clippings on a pile of other clippings. Then he closes the drawer, letting them accumulate in the drawer's cool darkness. He doesn't think about them much, but he knows they are there if needed, which happens whenever a colleague wanders into his office desperate for a good idea. He'll open the drawer again, haul out its contents on his desk, and say, "Let's see what we've got here." Host and guest then leaf through the clippings together. Without fail, an intriguing headline or phrase or photo of someone will beget a thought that in turn suggests a story idea-and the guest will depart, slightly less desperate and infinitely more inspired. The drawer, in effect, contains the editor's pre-ideas-those intriguing little tickles at the corners of your brain that tell you when something is interesting to you without your quite knowing why. Bringing them out reminds him of what he was thinking when he put them there in the first place.

I also like the simplicity of a box. There's a purpose here, and it has a lot to do with efficiency. A writer with a good storage and retrieval system can write faster. He isn't spending a lot of time looking things up, scouring his papers, and patrolling other rooms at home wondering where he left that perfect quote. It's in the box.

A perfect archive also gives you more material to call on, to use as a spark for invention. Beethoven, despite his unruly reputation and wild romantic image, was well organized. He saved everything in a series of notebooks that were organized according to the level of development of the idea. He had notebooks for rough ideas, notebooks for improvements on those ideas, and notebooks for finished ideas, almost as if he was pre-aware of an idea's early, middle, and late stages.

For anyone who reads music, the sketchbooks literally record the progress of his invention. He would scribble his rough, unformed ideas in his pocket notebook and then leave them there, unused, in a state of suspension, but at least captured with pencil on paper. A few months later, in a bigger, more permanent notebook, you can find him picking up that idea again, but he's not just copying the musical idea into another book. You can see him developing it, tormenting it, improving it in the new notebook. He might take an original three-note motif and push it to its next stage by dropping one of the notes a half tone and doubling it. Then he'd let the idea sit there for another six months. It would reappear in a third notebook, again not copied but further improved, perhaps inverted this time and ready to be used in a piano sonata.

He never puts the ideas back exactly the same. He always moves them for- ward, and by doing so, he re-energizes them.

The notebooks are remarkable for many reasons. Beethoven was a volatile and restless personality, always demanding a change of scene. In the thirty-two years he lived in and around Vienna, he never bought a home and moved more than forty times. I suspect that's why he needed the elaborate system of note- books. With all the turmoil in his personal life, the notebooks anchored the one part of his life that mattered: composing: As long as he had his ideas captured on paper, his creativity would never waver. In fact, it got stronger.

That’s the true value of the box: It contained your inspirations without confining your creativity. Le me explain how.

In the summer of 2000 I had an idea: to make a Broadway musical, all dancing, to the songs of Billy Joel. I have always believed in Billy's music. I've been listening to his songs since he started recording. I also felt in my bones that he wrote great dancing music. At the same time, I had just started a new company of six marvelous dancers, so good, in fact, that I was dying to showcase them in something big and ambitious. A two-hour dance extravaganza to all the hits of a major American pop idol fit the bill.

Only trouble was, I didn't know Billy Joel. I had never met him. I didn't know if he was an egomaniac or a bored rock star or a cool guy open to something new. On the evidence of his songs, which were literate and told great stories, he seemed like a down-to-earth good guy. That was his reputation. I got his phone number and called him up. I said, "1 have a project in mind and I would like to show you something." The "something" I had in mind was a twenty-minute videotape of choreography I had prepared to some of his music.

(The tape was a critical piece of preparation, and vital to selling the idea to the two people who could make or break the project. The first person was me: I had to see that Billy's music could "dance." The tape was visual evidence of something I felt. The second person, of course, was Billy. That's why I called him the moment I was sure. I have learned over the years that you should never save for two meetings what you can accomplish in one. The usual routine for selling an idea is you set up a first meeting to explain it and then a second meeting to show it. I didn't want to leave anything to chance. Who knew if I would ever get a second meeting? When busy people are involved, a lot of things can happen to foul up even well intentioned plans, so I decided to go for it all in one shot and invested my time and money into producing and editing the twenty-minute tape.)

When Billy came to my home on Manhattan's Upper West Side, I mentioned that I had a little trouble figuring out both from his songs and the surname Joel whether he was Jewish, Irish, or Italian. He said, "My family is Jewish, I grew up in an Italian neighborhood, and every girl who broke my heart was Irish."

I said, "Okay, I get it now. Come and look"-and I pulled him over to my video console.

I showed him some dancing to his newest compositions-solo piano music from his classical Fantasies and Delusions album-because I assumed he would be most engaged by his most recent material. He loved the dancing. Then I switched to his rock hits such as "Uptown Girl" and "Big Shot." He said, "1 didn't know my stuff could look so good." End of tape.

I think he was flattered by it all, so I pressed on. I asked him, "Whatever happened to Brenda and Eddie from the song 'Scenes from an Italian Restaurant’?"

He said he had never thought about it.

"Well, that's the point," I said. "1 want to do a show using your songs to tell a story. I don't know what it is yet. But first, I need your permission."

He said, "Okay, you have it."

"I'm also going to need access to your entire song catalog."
He said, "Fine."

That was it. It was one of those rare moments: an instant deal. We shook hands and he left.

That's the moment I started my Billy Joel box for the show Movin' Out.
First in: my precious twenty-minute tape.

Next in: two blue index cards. I believe in starting each project with a stated goal. Sometimes the goal is nothing more than a personal mantra such as "keep it simple" or "something perfect" or "economy" to remind me of what I was thinking at the beginning if and when I lose my way. I write it down on a slip of paper and it's the first thing that goes into the box.

In this case, I had two goals. The first was "tell a story." I felt that getting a handle on narrative in dance was my next big challenge, plus I wanted to find out what happened to Brenda and Eddie, the "popular steadies." The second was "make dance pay for the dancers." I've always been resentful of the fact that some of the so-called elite art forms can't survive on their own without sponsor- ship and subsidies. It bothers me that dance companies around the world are not-for-profit organizations and that dancers, who are as devoted and disciplined as any NFL or NBA superstar, are at the low end of the entertainment industry's income scale. I wanted this Broadway-bound project not only to elevate serious dance in the commercial arena but also to pay the dancers well. So I wrote my goals for the project, "tell a story" and "make dance pay," on two blue index cards and watched them float to the bottom of the Joel box. Along with the tape, they were the first items in the box and they sit there as I write this, covered by months of research, like an anchor keeping me connected to my original impulse. ("When you're up to your ass in alligators," says a friend from Florida, "it's easy to forget that your objective was to drain the swamp.")

No matter what system you use, I recommend having a goal and putting it in writing. I read once that people who write down their New Year's resolutions have a greater chance of achieving them than people who don't. This is the sort of factoid that is probably apocryphal but, like many urban legends, sounds as though it should be true.

Into the box went all my research. A few days after we met, Billy sent his complete CDs. I listened to them in chronological order over the weekend, and by Monday I had the first hints of a story line running through my head. It was the opening line of Homer's Iliad: "Sing to me muse of the rage of Achilles." Billy was my Homer figure, the poet reciting an epic poem. The story would be set to twenty-seven Billy Joel songs about five kids from Long Island, from their high school days in 1965 through the Vietnam War and ending in 1984. The main characters-Eddie, Brenda, Tony, James, and Judy-could all be found in Billy's songs. I studied Billy's music videos for clues and meaning lurking in the songs. I watched tapes of his live performances through the years. I looked at TV dance shows from the era-such as Shindig and Soul Train-to refresh my memory of the dance styles back then. I screened Billy's lectures to hear what he thought of his songs. All these items went into the box. Because the show's story line included a pivotal section about the Vietnam War, I went to New York's Museum of Television and Radio to watch news footage, refreshing my memory of what we were told during the war. Then I watched the movies about the Vietnam War, from The Deer Hunter to Platoon to Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. All into the box, along with seminal books from the time period (for example, Michael Herr's Dispatches) and interesting period films (such as Saturday Night Fever and even one I worked on, Hair). I went back farther to study The Wild Ones and Rebel Without a Cause to get a feel for an older character in our show who'd wear a black leather jacket and motorcycle boots. All in the box. From another box, abandoned and buried, I dug out old research for an unrealized film project based on David Rabe's In the Boom Boom Room to develop ideas for a female character.

In the box you'll also find my notebooks containing all the clips and images and scrawls to myself that I file away to jog my memory: photos of Billy from the early seventies to the mid-eighties; news clippings from the period helping me formulate a visual style; song lists, from first cut to final cut, and the notes passed between music director Stuart Malina and me about why a song should or shouldn't be in the show. For example, there's an elaborate set of notes on a beautiful ballad from an early part of Billy's career, "She's Got a Way About Her," that is full of innocence and sweetness. But in my notes you can see the song morphing into something harsher, eventually becoming two simultaneous sleazy bar scenes, one in Vietnam, the other back home. I felt obliged to run this by Billy, warning him, "This is going to destroy the song." But he wasn't worried. "Go for it," he said.

Also in the box is a green beret that belonged to a military adviser I consulted for the show. He gave me some worthwhile information for the night patrol sequence, about how the men signaled to each other down the line, because the thickness of the jungle made it impossible to see more than one man along in the fanned-out formation. The signals were quite elementary (pointing to one's eyes means "look," fist lifted at a right angle means "stop," hand out flat pushing down means "get down"); we could have invented something equivalent for the scene, but real details created authenticity. Just seeing the beret in the box energizes me, reminding me how important it was to the man who gave it to me.

There are tchotchkes in the box as well, all of which link me to some essential aspect of the project. A pair of earrings and a macramé vest that started me thinking about costumes. Books about psychedelic light events that I might share with the lighting designer. Photographs of other production concepts that I could use to discuss space and detail with Santo Loquasto, my longtime production designer. There are research Polaroids from a reconnaissance trip to half a dozen village greens in Long Island where Billy Joel grew up. All of this helped me imagine the characters in their time and space when I started work in my pristine white studio in Manhattan. Eventually, the material for this show filled up twelve boxes.

That's how a box is like soil to me. It's basic, earthy, elemental. It's home. It's what I can always go back to when I need to regroup and keep my bearings. Knowing that the box is always there gives me the freedom to venture out, be bold, dare to fall flat on my face. Before you can think out of the box, you have to start with a box.

Now, let me tell you what a box isn't.

The box is not a substitute for creating. The box doesn't compose or write a poem or create a dance step. The box is the raw index of your preparation. It is the repository creative potential, but it is not that potential realized.

When a journalist gets a story assignment, he doesn't immediately sit down and knock out a finished piece. He has a routine, which is common to all good journalists. First, he reads all the background material he can get his hands on. Then he talks to people to verify old information, unearth new information, and pullout lively quotes (which he knows are the lifeblood of solid reporting). He jots all this down in his notes. Filling up the notebook can take hours or months, depending on the journalist's deadline. But only when his research and reporting are done and his notebook is full does he write the story. If his reporting is good, the writing will reflect that. It will come out clearly and quickly. If the re- porting is shoddy, the writing will be, too. It will be torture to get the words out.

My box is like the journalist's notes. It's the "reporting" routine I follow be- fore creating a piece. If the quality of a journalist's work is a direct function of how much background material he sifted through, how many people he talked to, how many times he went back to his sources to challenge or check up on their statements - that is, how diligent and clever he was in assembling his research - then the quality of my creative output is also a function of how diligent and clever I've been in filling up my boxes.

It's one thing to tell you that my Movin' Out box has dozens of videotapes of Billy Joel performances and music videos. That's obvious; if you're working with E'" the man's music, you ought to know how that music has been treated visually in the past. That's the bare minimum in research. It's also basic research to review relevant films from the era. But I'm not sure everyone would log time reviewing U .5. Army training films from the Vietnam era. That's the mildly over-the-top re- search that tells me I'm prepared-and arms me with confidence when I get down to the real work of creating.

Sadly, some people never get beyond the box stage in their creative life. We all know people who have announced that they've started work on a project - say, a book - but some time passes, and when you politely ask how it's going, they tell you that they're still researching. Weeks, months, years pass and they produce nothing. They have tons of research but it's never enough to nudge them toward the actual process of writing the book. I'm not sure what's going on here. Maybe they're researching in the wrong places. Maybe they like the comfort zone of research as opposed to the hard work of writing. Maybe they're just taking procrastination to a new extreme. All I know for sure is that they are trapped in the box.

My solution for them: This isn't working. Free yourself. Get out of this box.
Put it away for another day and start a new box. But do so with the faith that nothing is lost, that you haven't put in all this effort for naught. Everything you've done is in the box. You can always come back to it.

There's one final benefit to the box: It gives you a chance to look back. A lot of people don't appreciate this. When they're done with a project, they're relieved. They're ready for a break and then they want to move forward to the next idea. But the box gives you the opportunity to reflect on your performance. Dig down through the boxes archaeologically and you'll see a project's beginnings. This can be instructive. How did you do? Did you get to your goal? Did you improve on it? Did it change along the way? Could you have done it all more efficiently?
I find the box is most useful at three critical stages: when you're getting going, when you're lost, and after you've finished (that's when you can look back and see the directions you didn't take, the ideas that intrigued you but didn't fit this time around and might be the start of your next box).

Above all, learn to respect your box's strange and disorderly ways. As a repository of half-baked inspirations and unformed aids, the box can seem to be a haphazard tool while you're filling it. But when you want to go back and make sense of your path, every step is there to be found, and the order emerges if only in hindsight. Your box is proof that you have prepared well. If you want to know how any creative project will turn out, your box's contents are as good a predictor of success or failure as anything I know.


Assignment connecting to Chapter 5:
· Take one of the 3 ideas you described in the scratching assignment, and create a box for 1 of the 3 ideas that you are most likely to pursue when we begin Senior Dance Project class.
· Click on comment and give us a list of content inside your box.
· On your first day of class, you will actually bring in the box with the content you described.

16 comments:

swilliams said...

well some of the ideas that i am exploring is romeo and julet but takeing that love story and putting more of an element of my self in to it ...but i love reading this ladies ideas cuz i though it was so ill so im going to use the idea of the box cuz it smart also you could alway come back to it if you need to

Unknown said...

Well I really liked the process Beethoven chose to go through as he developed his work. So I think my box would contain three notebooks with written developments of my ideas for what my senior dance project would be about. My box would be all black because I want it to represent the idea that my ideas are the light inside of a black box and for me that thought gives me inspiration. I would also have something to eat in my box because when I have something to munch on, it helps me focus in on one thing.

Anonymous said...

Tiffany Beaumont

Contents inside my box:

One of the ideas I chose for my box is proving people wrong / accomplishment. These are some of the contents in my box that are for inspiration and that shows what I’ve accomplished throughout the year.

* “ In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream” -Michael Jackson

* “ To be yourself in award that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

v A picture of Fedner’s senior piece that I was in.

* Boston Arts Academy logo.

* Articles about a dancer named Ebony Williams. We have a similar situation about the decision she made to be a dancer or not.

* “Being confident of this very thing that he which hath begun a good work in you shall perform it until the day of Jesus Christ” Phillipians 1:6 (NIV)

Fernadina Chan, Artistic Dean & Co-Chair, Dance Dept said...

 
3 ideas i have for my senior piece are :
- evolution : how things and people evolved overtime
- betrayal : being betrayed by someone close to you and expressing my feelings as part of the movement in my piece
- tragic incident : something tragic that has happened to two young girls
- - michelle r.

FinesseP said...

i am mostly stuck on the idea of accomplishments and proving yuorself wrong before proving others wrong. the feelinf of my piece is pure excitement and happiness a sense of relief. i have the songs i know i can by nas and i will die for you by prince because of it's upbeat tempo and feeling. on the outside of my box i wrote the word peace because it means alot of things to alot of people. my ideas are all over the place!

Laura Martinez said...

I really liked reading this article, and what most inspired me was that i can leave the box out of sight but i still know it is in the back of my mind that its still there and that I can go back to it at any time and either change it or fix it.

My 3 ideas would be:
- Being yourself NOT being perfect making mistakes and LEARNING from them(Dont let what other people say get in the way of who you are. Learning how to just do things because you want to and not because others want you too.)

-Transitions from one place to another (Being in your comfort zone being the "top dog" then going all the way down to the bottom. Feeling useless and unworthy to be at the top again)

-You cant always stand alone. (asking for help letting others be there for you and not push them away because your too pridefull of yourself.)

What I would put in the box would be things that have challenged me things I didnt want to give up on Pictures of people that stood by me moments i will always remember even if its a pencil and a notebook that helped me express myself in a different way.

sfrometa said...

I enjoyed reading this because I also found a certain way of how to organize my ideas and thoughts for a piece that I wanted to make. I took a notebook with me this summer to my dance intensive and I reflected on my dance classes and made sure I wrote down any movements that I really liked and that I seen had potential to help me create more moevement for my senior piece. There was one problem though, I couldnt come up with a set idea of what I would like my senior piece to be. The ideas that I would like to play around with are; being trapped inside "box" and knowing exactly how to escape from this "box" your in but having doubts if you want to get out. So your stuck between whats inside this box and what you havent experienced outside the box. All the other ideas arent ideas that I can see that can become a dance. But they are: loss of father,not having a body part and how that prohibits me from dancing,and just experimenting with intense and soft movements. But thats all I have for now.

Michael said...

the idea that i wanted to develop within this box would be the idea of zoning out
in the box i would make a collage on the inside of it, full of people look out to the distance, put like a make-shift set, what the stage would look like if i decide to continue on with this idea.
i would keep the colors cool, like black white gray blues purple, keep everything very serene

Anonymous said...

Julie T. Jean

The idea that I wanted to cover was the self experience/a changing affect. The reason why I chose that is because I know that this typical topic won’t be that easy for me to do. Things that I would and have put into my box were mostly pictures and memories from the past and ideas for the future. I made sure I put my notebook into the box. In this book I have ideas of what I would like my piece to resemble, and other free writes.

Unknown said...

I think that in my box would be Filled with happiness. I know that i have had some really tough times in my life but i was able to get trough them. No matter what happens i try to make the best of the situation, and i feel like that is something we all need to do. And yes i might include anger in my box as well because we all feel angry with someone at one point in our lives, but we learn to forgive each other. Although it may not always be easy it is the right thing to do. I just like being happy in general. It makes me a better person and it makes the people around me better people too. It helps me become a better person as well as a better dancer.

khamara said...

Hi ms chan,
i have three ideas.
i want to my piece about a love story it would be my love story just revised and made a lot more dramatic and entertaining.
i also want to do a my peice about how people cope differently it would be called colping methods the piece will follow 4 characters who all go through something but they will colp with the struggle differently. one of them will use music and one will use writing. the other 2 people ways of cping will be more distructive one will be a cutter and the other will either use alcohol or drugs. my third idea will explore the life of a family dealing with the death of a close family member. my box will be about the second idea i explained. i will place an ipod in the bos a pen and a notebook a fake model of drugs and a plastic kinfe.

Maggie Floyd said...

well the direction of where i was going with my senior dance piece my box has three things in it. one will be piece of tissue which reflects on the title of mt piece "1 FEAR NO TEARS" and it will used as a big prop, also a picture of me and my grandfather when i was a younger, lastly is a cell phone that holds memories such as photos and voice recordings of my grandfather before he passed. its kind of deep not sure if i want to go on with this as my senior piece...

Anonymous said...

-Kristina Hernandez

Box::
For my box i put things inside of it that best corresponded to my piece. My idea that i stuck with was the idea of time and bad decision making through time. The focus is the bad decisions and the refelction of it. So with that idea and that thought to motivate my piece i put things in my box that i thought would help me explore through movement and best bring me to that element of my idea were things like : a lock, words that inpired me for my piece, quotes that inspired me, and my headphones because my music of course is my number one influence.

Anonymous said...

Jordan

Love and War are my concepts .I want to use pedestrian,military and animalistic movements to express war.I'm not rlly sure hOw to express love at the moment.Most likely everything i doo will come from improv and some of my poetry.I dont wanna work off of a story line because i dont wanna get stuck in it. I jus wanna set a vibe that everyone can feel.

In Jesus' name. Amen

Celine said...

The objects in my Box were based on my idea of magic and enlightenment. I had many different things in my box such

a brown scarf- not only is brown my favorite color. but it also portrays my mood, character, and personality.

globe-the globe didn't have any special meaning put there was something about its color and patterns that really intrigued me

random words-i went through some magazines and pamphlets and cuts outs words that somewhat described what my piece would be like.

photos-i had some photos in my box that were still shots of dance moments from various companies

Documentaries-i had various documentaries on hip hop throughout my box as well as my name tag from the pillow

Fabric- i had African fabric as the lining in my box because it one of the styles of dance that i closely relate to.

Unknown said...

The content in my box will represent the topic of speaking out about the things you believe in and the fear about it. Somethings that will be in my box is my bible, my i pod, and a list of words such as, What would my friends think?, Who is whatching me, Am i good enough?, Am i ready?